Friday, March 20, 2009

Is this site still worth the problems?

I have yet to figure out why I put this site on the web. Not sure what reasons I had to do it. It started as a little security type camera site for me. I traveled and wanted to drop in on my family from time to time. That what I tell myself anyway. I am not even sure if that is what started it or not. I found sites with cameras, and thought it was cool. Is that the reason? I am not sure. All I know is that I wanted to do it. It took a year or more to get that first camera up and running. It was out the old house, looking at my little above ground pool. Had a little blog and some pictures. That site (server ?) went down. No back -ups, no saved blogs, photos, etc. Once it went back online, we moved. Once I hit this house I moved a little faster. Cameras went up, computers added, getting yelled at by the wife..... She still don't like the cameras..... Anyway, I have always wanted to add even more cameras. But I still don't know why... I am not a good looking man, I don't even look in the mirror after a shower. So why would I believe anyone else would want to look at me? The wife hates the cameras, so she is very careful when near any of them. So are people looking to see her? I don't think so. So that leaves the kids. Are sick people hitting my cameras to see them? I hope to the F.S.M they are not. I would hate to kill again.....
But as I watch the computers, people are not really hitting this site anyway. Am I shocked? Well, no. Like I said, nothing goes on here. Nothing to really see. I have three computers running eight cameras at all hours of the day. That takes a good bit of juice. My cable TV and internet runs at $168. a month. Wife hates the cams, I have very few people checking in any more, and I am getting sick of resetting cameras every morning. Why should I keep adding cameras or pounding out these sad little blogs? Hell, I can even spell!! My over use of the ,,,,,,,, even bothers me now!!!
Don't get me wrong. I still love doing this. I would have 3 or 4 more cameras up and running. Wouldn't bother me to have them in the bedroom. Wouldn't see anything in that room either, but it is cool to check on my house from work...
It is late, and as always I just come here and write to hear myself talk. I 4 years ago or so when I started this, I wrote about the 4 or 5 people that came to my site. I wrote because I knew I had those few people. Site crashed for a while, and I think I lost them. Now? I really have no idea how many people drop in. I can see a little counter on my computer that gives me an idea on the number of views, and it is never really showing anyone. Once in a while, might be a person on one computer or the other. But I am just wondering if I will keep this going.
I have read others sites. Some have had a camera or two up for more years then me, and they are dropping like flies. The person who made this site work in the first place,(and has tried to help me learn about web design) Travis doesn't have the time to keep up with his site either.
So if anyone is reading this, let me know what you think. If I get NO comments, I guess that tells me what I need to know.

2 comments:

Copeland Hill said...

Don't drop the site...yet. Link to other sites and hope they link to you. West Virginia has few bloggers of any interest and very few webcam sites. Yours is among the few.

wizibuff said...

Don't do it! I love checking in on your site, seeing if you've updated your blog! It's just a familiar thing to do, and I am looking forward to seeing the outdoor cam in spring and summer. I am sorry you're frustrated, but maybe you find some sort of theraputic help in keeping the whole thing rolling??? Best of luck to you.... friends in SWPA......